I’ve been experimenting with more meat-free dishes lately and I thought I would share today’s dinner recipe! Mr S asked for ramen noodles and I found a recipe on the Cauldron website for tofu ramen. The recipe said to use their ready marinated sweet ginger tofu, but I already had some plain tofu in the fridge so I decided to adapt the recipe. One day I will have all the ingredients for a recipe and actually follow it!
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 280g tofu, cut into 1cm cubes
- 250g udon noodles
- 750 mls water
- 1 stock cube
- 1 packet of miso paste (I used the mellow yellow version, which contains fish, so substitute for a vegetarian/vegan version if required)
- 8 baby corn
- 75g mangetout, chopped into half/thirds
- 4 spring onions, chopped into small pieces
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bruised to release flavour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Make up the marinade and place in a Tupperware box with the chopped tofu.
- Rotate box to coat all the pieces and leave in the fridge to marinate for ~8 hours.
- Bash the lemongrass to allow the flavour to infuse and place in a large pan with the ginger, water, miso, stock cube and drain on the marinade. Slowly heat to bring to a simmer.
- Boil noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and mix with 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Add the minicorn to the broth and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the tofu, mangetout and spring onions and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lemongrass and discard.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and ladle on the broth, tofu and vegetables.
- Garnish with coriander. You could also add chilli flakes for a kick!
Mr S approved the recipe and it went down well with the kids overall! Baby K enjoyed her first noodle experience and had a good chew on her favourite vegetable, babycorn. S and A needed some encouragement to try the tofu at first and some help wrangling their noodles, but ate most of it.